Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Board

Beside each incubator is a whiteboard that can be used to write your baby's name, parents names and contact info., date of birth, feeding schedule, etc. When I was first presented with this board I looked at the one next to us and saw it elaborately decorated with different colour markers. The date of birth of the baby was more than a month prior and I immediately had a sinking feeling. We were going to have to visit our baby in the hospital for a long time. They told us that we should aim for his original due date, which was more than 9 weeks later, but I couldn't imagine even a day ahead. So I decided that 36 weeks sounded reasonable, which was still more than a month away. I looked again at the baby next door that was quite a bit bigger than the other babies who had been born more recently. The baby was settled in as though it were their home, with personal blankets, sleepers, pictures, and memorabilia surrounding their little area. I then looked at my little guy and at the whiteboard and carefully wrote his name, our names and phone numbers, and his date of birth. One colour, simple text, no elaboration. I didn't want my baby ever thinking that this was his home- or I suppose, I didn't want to ever think that...

No comments:

Post a Comment