Sunday, November 14, 2010

Going Home

My parents arrived with my husband at the NICU not too long after I had arrived with the paramedics. It was the first time they got to meet him, one at a time, as no visitors aside from the parents had been allowed into the NICU at the previous hospital. They both commented on how tiny he was.

My husband and I then left the hospital and drove to pick up our dog. She has meant the world to both of us for many years so I was shocked to have little feeling for her when we picked her up. She was incredibly excited, whining and racing circles around us, but I just didn't seem to care. I wasn't expecting this sort of reaction and it suddenly occurred to me I was still feeling numb and in shock.

We then returned home to our house. It had only been a week since I had left for the doctor's office but it felt like a lifetime had passed. Here I was back home, without my baby. Never had I predicted this, nor could anyone understand how it feels unless they have been there. My husband then mentioned that he planned to return to work the next day so he could take time off once the baby was actually home. It made sense, but upset me as I realized that I was now going to be facing the hospital visits alone. I was so excited to get home that I hadn't thought through the reality of it, including having a number of regular responsibilities around the house again, and no longer having the 24/7 company of my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment