Monday, November 8, 2010

Bonding

According to the nurse who taught my prenatal class, it was important to bond with your baby right away following delivery. It was also important to breastfeed early on and not introduce your baby to a pacifier or a bottle as it would supposedly confuse them and make breastfeeding more difficult.

Fast forward to having delivered a tiny little baby who lay in an incubator, completely separated from me. I could barely touch him as he was unable to regulate his temperature so could not be out of his little home for very long. And there was no breastfeeding. He also received a tiny little pacifier from day one and I was told he would likely be bottle feeding prior to breastfeeding. So of course I assumed that my little baby and I would be unable to bond...

No comments:

Post a Comment